Add insult to injury…
Meaning: there are three meaning to “add insult to injury”:
- to make a bad situation worse; to hurt the feelings of a person who has already been hurt.
- to make a bad situation even worse for someone by doing something else to upset them.
- to make a bad situation worse.
- He said my clothes didn’t suit me, and then to add insult to injury he said I needed to lose some weight!
- First, the basement flooded, and then, to add insult to injury, a pipe burst in the kitchen. My car barely started this morning, and to add insult to injury, I got a flat tire in the driveway.
- The airline charged me extra for checking in a bike and then added insult to injury by charging me for a box to pack it in
- The bank took back my car, and then added insult to injury by cancelling my credit cards!
- First of all he arrived an hour late and then, to add insult to injury, he proceeded to complain about my choice of restaurant.